At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Armenia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Robert KOCHARIAN
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Andranik MARGARYAN
- Assembly: Armenia has a unicameral National Assembly (Azgayin Zhoghov) with 131 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Azgayin Zhoghov), 75 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 56 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Robert N KOCHARIA
- Alliance: Independent
- Stepan DEMIRTCHIAN
- Party: Peoples Party of Armenia
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on March 16, 1998, with a second round held on March 30th. In the second round, KOCHARIAN won the presidency by securing 59.5% of the votes cast while opponent Karen DEMIRCHYAN secured 40.5% of the votes. The first round of this presidential election was held on February 19, 2003.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,339,099 (July 2002 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,315,410 ( 2003 )
· Female Population: 1,580,359 (2003)
· Is Armenia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Armenia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (13 September 1993)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (2003)
· Human Development Index Position: 85 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Armenia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Armenia ratified CRPD: Yes (22 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 500,864 (est.)