At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Serbia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Milan MILUTINOVIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Zoran DJINDJIC
- Assembly: Serbia has a unicameral National Assembly with 250 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly 250 members are elected by direct vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Vojislav KOSTUNICA
- Party: Democratic Party of Serbia (DSS)
- Mirolujub LABUS
- Party: Independent but supported by Democratic Opposition of Serbia (DOS)
- Borislav PELEVIC
- Party: Party of Serbian Unity (SSJ)
Last Presidential election:
- Last presidential election was held on December 21, 1997. The results of the election on September 29-October 13, 2002 were annulled due to lack of voter turnout. The 50% turnout requirement was abandoned for this election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,498,001 ( 2002 This figure excludes Kosovo.)
- Registered Voters: 6,555,405 ( 2002 The Republic Electoral Commission (RIK) in Serbia reports that 6,555,405 have the right to vote. RIK has not stated how many voters from Kosovo have been included in the rolls.)
· Female Population:3,819,209 (2002)
· Is Serbia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Serbia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (12 May 2001)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 66 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Serbia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (17 December 2007)
· Has Serbia ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,124,700 (est.)