At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Brazil
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Fernando Henrique CARDOSO
- Head of Government: President Fernando Henrique CARDOSO
- Assembly: Brazil has a bicameral National Congress (Congresso Nacional) consisting of the Federal Senate (Senado Federal) with 81 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara dos Deputados) with 513 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Federal Senate (Senado Federal) 81 members are elected by majority vote to serve 8-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara dos Deputados) 513 members are elected by proportional representation to serve 4-year terms.
* Members of the Senate are elected in staggered elections. In 1994 two-thirds of the Senate (54 seats) was up for election; in 1998 one-third of the Senate (27 seats) was up for election.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Luis Inacio LULA da Silva
- Party: Workers Party (PT)
- Jose SERRA
- Party: Brazilian Social Democratic Party (PSDB)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election held was held on October 4, 1998. Fernando Henrique CARDOSO was re-elected as president with 53% of the vote. The First Round of this election was held on October 6, 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 174,468,575
- Registered Voters: 115,254,113 ( 2002 )
· Female Population: 91,635,538 (2002)
· Is Brazil a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (31 March 1981)
· Has Brazil ratified CEDAW: Yes (1 February 1984)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 44 (Chamber of Deputies); 10 (Federal Senate) (following 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 75 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Brazil a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Brazil ratified CRPD: Yes (1 August 2008)
· Population with a disability: 27,156,838 (est.)