At stake in this election:
- The office of Executive President of Zimbabwe
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Executive President Robert Gabriel MUGABE
- Head of Government: Executive President Robert Gabriel MUGABE
- Assembly: Zimbabwe has a unicameral National Assembly with 150 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Executive President is elected by popular vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the National Assembly, 12 members are appointed and 120 members are elected by popular vote to serve 6-year terms.***
*** In the National Assembly, 120 members are elected by popular vote to serve 6-year terms, 12 are nominated by the president, 8 seats are occupied by provincial governors, and 10 seats are occupied by traditional chiefs.
* Senators are elected on a constituency system, 6 seats are appointed by the president, and 10 seats are reserved to traditional chiefs.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Robert MUGABE
Party: Zimbabwean African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF)
- Morgan TSVANGIRAI
Party: Movement for Democratic Change (MDC)
- Wilson KUMBILA
Party: Zimbabwe African National Union (ZANU)
- Shake MAYA
Party: National Alliance for Good Governance (NAGG)
- Paul Siwela
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held March 16-17, 1996. Robert MUGABE received 92.7% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,365,366 ( 2002 )
- Registered Voters: 5,049,815 ( 2000 )