At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Zambia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Frederick CHILUBA *
- Head of Government: President Frederick CHILUBA
- Assembly: Zambia has a unicameral National Assembly with 150 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly 150 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Levy Patrick MWANAWASA
- Party: Movement for Multiparty Democracy (MMD)
- Anderson MAZOKA
- Party: United Party for National Development (UNPD)
- Christon TEMBO
- Party: Forum for Democracy and Development Party (FDD)
- Tilyenji KAUNDA
- Party: United National Independent Party (UNIP)
- Godfrey MIYANDA
- Party: Heritage Party (HP)
- Benjamin MWILA
- Party: Zambian Republican Party (ZRP)
- Michael SATA
- Party: Patriotic Front (PF)
- Nevers MUMBA
- Party: National Citizens Coalition (NCC)
- Gwendoline KONIE
- Party: Social Democratic Party (SDP)
- Inonge MBIKUSITA-LEWANIKA
- Party: Agenda for Zambia (AZ)
- Yobert SHAMAPANDE
- Party: National Leadership for Development (NLD)
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on November 18, 1996. Frederick CHILUBA received 72.5% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,582,418 (July 2000 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,468,909 ( 1998 )