At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Bulgaria
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Petar STOYANOV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Simeon SAX-COBURG-GOTHA
- Assembly: Bulgaria has a unicameral National Assembly (Narodno Sobranie) with 240 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Narodno Sobranie) 240 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Georgi PURVANOV
- Party: Bulgarian Socialist Party
- Petar STOYANOV
- Party: Independent Candidate
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on October 27 and November 3, 1996. Petar STOYANOV received 59.73% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,796,694 (July 2000 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,868,371 ( 2001 )
· Female Population: 4,114,100 (2001)
· Is Bulgaria a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Bulgaria ratified CEDAW: Yes (8 February 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 63 (following the 2001 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 59 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Bulgaria a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Bulgaria ratified CRPD: Yes (22 March 2012)
· Population with a disability: 1,203,042 (est.)