At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Seychelles
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President France RENE
- Head of Government: President France RENE
- Assembly: Seychelles has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 34 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale), 25 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 9 members are allocated through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- France Albert RENE
- Party: Seychelles People's Progressive Party (SPPF)
- Wavel RAMKALAWAN
- Party: Sechelles National Party (SNP)
- Philippe BOULLE
- Party: Independent
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held: March 20-22, 1998.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 81,202 (2001)
- Registered Voters: 54,847 (2001)
· Female Population: 40,776 (2001)
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Seychelles ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 May 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 64 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Seychelles ratified CRPD: Yes (2 October 2009)
· Population with a disability: 12,180 (est.)