At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Peru
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alejandro TOLEDO Manrique
- Head of Government: President Alejandro TOLEDO Manrique
- Assembly: Peru has a unicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) 120 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Alejandro TOLEDO*
- Party: Peru Posible
- Alan GARCIA*
- Party: Partido Aprista Peruano (APRA)
- Lourdes FLORES
- Party: Unidad Nacional
- Fernando OLIVERA
- Party: Frente Independiente Moralizador (FIM)
- Carlos BOLAÑA
- Party: Solución Popular
- Other Candidates
- Party: N/A
*Alejandro TOLEDO and Alan GARCIA advanced to the second round of the presidential election.
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on April 9, 2000 and May 28, 2000. Alberto FUJIMORI ran unopposed in the second round election and received 74.33% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 26,261,363 (2001)
- Registered Voters: 14,906,233 (2001)
· Female Population: 13,137,632 (2001)
· Is Peru a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 July 1981)
· Has Peru ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 September 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 24 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 84 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Peru a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Peru ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2008)
· Population with a disability: 3,887,231 (est.)