At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ghana
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jerry John RAWLINGS
- Head of Government: President Jerry John RAWLINGS
- Assembly: Ghana has a unicameral Parliament with 200 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament 200 members are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- John KUFUOR
- Party: New Patriotic Party (NPP)
- John Atta MILLS
- Party: National Democratic Congress (NDC)
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on December 7, 1996. President RAWLINGS received 57.2% of the vote, thereby defeating John KUFUOR who received 39.8%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 19,533,560 (July 2000 est.)
- Registered Voters: 10,698,652 (December 2000 )
· Female Population: 9,318,117 (2000)
· Is Ghana a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ghana ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 January 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 18 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 140 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Ghana a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Ghana ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2012)
· Population with a disability: 2,823,749 (est.)