At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Kyrgyzstan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Acting President Askar AKAYEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Askar AKAYEV
- Assembly: Kyrgyzstan has a bicameral Supreme Council (Zhogorku Kenesh) consisting of the Assembly of People's Representatives (45 seats) and the Legislative Assembly (60 seats).
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular majority for a renewable five-year term.
- Members of the Assembly of People's Representatives are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies for five-year terms.
- 45 members of the Legislative Assembly are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies; 15 are elected via closed-list proportional representation with a 5% threshold. Seats are distributed using the Hare Quota and the Method of Largest Remainder. All members are elected for five-year terms.
Main Candidates in the presidential election:
- Askar AKAYEV
- Party: Independent
- Omurbek TEKEBAYEV
- Party: Ata Meken Socialist Party
- Almazbek ATAMBAYEV
- Party: Social Democratic Party of Kyrgyzstan
Population and Voter Registration:
- Population: 4,898,400 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 2,537,247 (2000)
· Female Population: 2,482,017 (2000)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (10 February 1997)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 120 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (21 September 2011)
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 734,760 (est.)