At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Peru
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alberto Kenyo FUJIMORI Fujimori
- Head of Government: President Alberto Kenyo FUJIMORI Fujimori
- Assembly: Peru has a unicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) 120 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Alberto Fujimori
- Party: PERU 2000
- Alejandro Toledo
- Party: Peru Posible
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on April 9, 1995. In the last election, President FUJIMORI received 64.42% of the vote, defeating Javier PEREZ de CUELLAR, his closest competitor with 21.80% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 25,914,875 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 14,340,169 (2000)
· Female Population: 12,964,036 (2000)
· Is Peru a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 July 1981)
· Has Peru ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 September 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 24 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 84 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Peru a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Peru ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2008)
· Population with a disability: 3,887,231 (est.)