At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Senegal
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdou DIOUF
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mamadou Lamine LOUM
- Assembly: Senegal has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 140 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 7-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 140 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Abdoulaye WADE
- Party: Alternance 2000
- Abdou DIOUF
- Party: Socialist Party
- Moustapha NIASSE
- Party: Alliance of the Forces of Progress
- Djibo Leïty Kâ
- Party: Union for Democratic Renewal
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on February 21, 1993. President Abdou DIOUF received 58.4% of the vote, defeating the Senegalese Democratic Party candidate, Abdoulaye WADE, who received 32.0%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,860,578 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 2,745,239 (2000)
· Female Population: 5,007,745 (2000)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Senegal ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 17 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 170 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 April 2007)
· Has Senegal ratified CRPD: Yes (7 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 1,479,086 (est.)