At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Guinea-Bissau
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joao Bernardo VIEIRA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Francisco FADUL
- Assembly: Guinea-Bissau has a unicameral National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular) with 100 seats.
* President VIEIRA initially assumed power in a coup d'etat on November 14, 1980.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular) 100 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Kumba Yala
- Party: The Social Renewal Party
- Malam Bacai Sanha
- Party: The African Party for Guinea Bissau and Cape Verde Islands Independence
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on July 3 and August 7, 1994. President Joao Nino VIEIRA received 52% of the vote, thereby defeating Koumba YALA who received 48% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,287,727 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 503,007 (1999)
· Female Population: 651,750 (1999)
· Is Guinea-Bissau a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guinea-Bissau ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 August 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 178 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Guinea-Bissau a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2013)
· Has Guinea-Bissau ratified CRPD: Yes (24 September 2014)
· Population with a disability: 193,159 (est.)