At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ukraine
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Leonid D. KUCHMA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Valeriy PUSTOVOYTENKO
- Assembly: Ukraine has a unicameral Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada), 225 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 225 members are allocated by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Kuchma Leonid Danylovych
- Party: "Our Choice"
- Petro Symonenko
- Party: Communist Party
- Other Candidates & Votes Against All Candidates
- Party: N/A
Last Presidential election:
- Elections were last held on July 10, 1994. In the last election President KUCHMA received 51.24% of the vote, thereby defeating Leonid KRAVCHUK, who received 45.06% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 49,811,174 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: 37,498,630 (1999)
· Female Population: 26,543,240 (1999)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ukraine ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 35 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 81 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Ukraine ratified CRPD: Yes (4 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 7,471,676 (est.)