At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Tunisia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Zine El Abidine BEN ALI
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Hamed KAROUI
- Assembly: Tunisia has a unicameral Chamber of Deputies (Majlis al-Nuwaab) with 163 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Deputies (Majlis al-Nuwaab) 163 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Zine El Abidine BEN ALI
- Party: Constitutional Democratic Rally
- Aberrahmane TLILI
- Party: Unionist Democratic Union
- Mohamed Belhai AMOR
- Party: Popular Unity Pary
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on March 20, 1994.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,513,603 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: 218,400 (1999)
· Female Population: 4,706,434 (1999)
· Is Tunisia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (24 July 1980)
· Has Tunisia ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 September 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 21 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 96 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Tunisia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Tunisia ratified CRPD: Yes (2 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,427,040 (est.)