At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Argentina
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Fernando DE LA RUA *
- Head of Government: President Fernando DE LA RUA
- Assembly: Argentina has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado de la Nación) with 72 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) with 257 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado de la Nación) 72 members are elected by direct vote*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) 257 members are elected by direct vote.**
* One-third of the members are elected every two years.
** One-half of the members are elected every two years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Fernando De La Rúa
- Party: Alianza
- Eduardo Duhalde
- Party: Justicialist Party (PJ)
- Domingo Cavallo
- Party: Action for the Republic Party
- Other Candidates
- Party: N/A
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on May 14, 1995. In this election, Carlos Saul MENEM received 47.49% of the vote, and thus defeated Jose Octavio BORDON of the leftist coalition containing Frepaso (25.2% of the vote) and the Union Civica Radical candidate Horatio MASSACCESI (17.1% of the vote).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 36,265,463 (July 1998 est. )
- Registered Voters: 24,108,413 ( 1999 )
· Female Population: 18,713,724 (1999)
· Is Argentina a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Argentina ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 68 (Chamber of Deputies); 2 (Senate)
· Human Development Index Position: 40 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Argentina a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Argentina ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 4,539,819 (est.)