At stake in this election:
- The office of President of El Salvador
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Armando CALDERON Sol
- Head of Government: President Armando CALDERON Sol
- Assembly: El Salvador has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) with 84 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) 84 members are elected by popular vote via proportional representation to serve 3-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Francisco FLORES
- Party: National Republican Alliance / (ARENA)
- Facundo GUARDADO
- Party: Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front / (FMLN)
- Rubén ZAMORA Rivas***
- Coalition: Democratic United Center / (CDU)
- Rodolfo PARKER
- Party: Christian Democratic Party / (PDC)
- Hernán CONTRERAS
- Party: National Conciliation Party / (PCN)
- Salvador Nelson GARCÍA
- Party: Democratic Republican League / (LIDER)
- Francisco AYALA DE PAZ
- Party: Party of the United People and the New Deal / (PUNTO)
*** The Democratic United Center coalition includes the Popular Laborist Party, the Democratic Convergence, and the Democratic Party.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on March 20 and April 24, 1994. In the April 24, 1994, runoff election, Armando CALDERON Sol received 68.35% of the vote and thus defeated Rubén ZAMORA Rivas, his closest competitor with 31.65% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,775,660 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 3,171,224 (1999)
· Female Population: 2,989,093 (1999)
· Is El Salvador a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (14 November 1980)
· Has El Salvador ratified CEDAW: Yes (19 August 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 1997 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 116 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is El Salvador a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has El Salvador ratified CRPD: Yes (14 December 2007)
· Population with a disability: 866,349 (est.)