At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Burkina Faso
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Blaise COMPAORE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kadre Desire OUEDRAOGO
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 111 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 111 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Blaise COMPAORE
- Party: Congress for Democracy and Progress (CDP)
- Ram OUEDRAOGO
- Party: Union of Greens for the Development of Burkina
- Frederic GUIRMA
- Party: Front of Refusal of the Democratic African Assembly
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on December 1, 1991. In this election, Blaise COMPAORE received over 85% of the vote and thus won the election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,266,393 (July 1998 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,210,134 ( 1998 )
· Female Population: 5,588,080 (1998)
· Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Burkina Faso ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (14 October 1987)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 9 (following the 1997 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 183 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 May 2007)
· Has Burkina Faso ratified CRPD: Yes (23 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,689,958 (est.)