At stake in this Referendum:
- A referendum to determine if Palau will establishing a casino gaming commission.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Johnson TORIBIONG
- Head of Government: President Johnson TORIBIONG
- Assembly: Palau has a bicameral Parliament (Olbiil Era Kelulau) consisting of the Senate with 9 seats* and the House of Delegates with 16 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate 13 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms*. In the House of Delegates 16 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
* Every voter may choose as many candidates as there are seats. All candidates compete in one, at-large district and the candidates who receive the most votes are elected. This is also known as a Block voting system.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Do you approve of the establishment of casino gaming in the Republic of Palau? A referendum to determine if Palau will establishing a casino gaming commission. If the referendum passes, the National Congress must pass legislation establishing a casino gaming commission. If the referendum is rejected, they cannot take up the issue again.
- A majority of voters must approve the referendum. There is no minimum threshold of voters needed to turnout.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 20,606 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 14,163 (June 2011)
· Female Population: N/A
· Is Palau a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (20 September 2011)
· Has Palau ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0
· Human Development Index Position: 60 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Palau a signatory to CRPD: Yes (20 September 2011)
· Has Palau ratified CRPD: Yes (11 June 2013)
· Population with a disability: 3,090 (est.)