At stake in this election:
- The 25 seats of the Parliament (Landtag)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Prince HANS ADAM II *
- Head of Government: Head of Government Klaus TSCHÜTSCHER **
- Assembly: Liechtenstein has a unicameral Parliament (Landtag) with 25 seats.
* On August 15, 2004, Prince HANS ADAM II transferred the official duties to the Prince-Regent ALOIS, but Prince HANS ADAM II retains his title of Head of State.
** The leader of the majority party is usually chosen as Head of Government.
Description of electoral system:
- The Prince is hereditary head of state.
- Head of Government is appointed by the monarch.
- In the Parliament (Landtag) 25 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Parties must meet an 8 percent quotient to gain a seat in the Diet.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Patriotic Union / Vaterländische Union (VU)
- Leader: Jakob BÜCHEL
- Party: Progressive Citizens' Party / Fortschrittliche Bürgerpartei in Liechtenstein (FBP)
- Leader: Alexander BATLINER
- Party: Free List / Freie Liste (FL)
- Leader: Wolfgang MARXER
- Party: The Independents / Die Unabhängigen (DU)
- Leader: Harry QUADERER
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 36,713 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 19,251 (February 2013 )