At stake in this election:
- 50 seats in the National Assembly (Majlis al-Umma)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Amir SABAH al-Ahmad al-Jabir al-Sabah
- Head of Government: Prime Minister NASIR MUHAMMAD al-Ahmad al-Sabah
- Assembly: Kuwait has a unicameral National Assembly (Majlis al-Umma) with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Amir is hereditary head of state.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the monarch.
- In the National Assembly (Majlis al-Umma), 50 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 15 members are designated ex officio to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents*
Seats won in this election: 50
Seats won in last election: 0
* Political parties are not permitted in Kuwait, although de facto political blocs exist and are active in the National Assembly.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,419,581 (2012)
- Registered Voters: 400,296 (January 2012 Source, IPU Parline)
· Female Population: 1,500,240 (2012)
· Is Kuwait a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Kuwait ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (2 September 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 3 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 48 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Kuwait a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Kuwait ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (22 August 2013)
· Population with a disability: 512,937 (est.)