At stake in this election:
- 230 seats in the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Anibal CAVACO SILVA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jose SOCRATES
- Assembly: Portugal has a unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) with 230 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President to serve a 4-year term.**
- In the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) 230 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
** The Prime Minister is usually leader of the majority party or coalition in the legislature.
*** There are 22 multi-member districts. Seats are allocated using the d'Hondt method.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Alliance: Socialist Party / Partido Socialista (PS)
- Leader: José SOCRATES
- Seats won in last election: 97
- Alliance: Social Democratic Party / Partido Social Democrata (PSD)
- Leader: Pedro Manuel Mamede Passos COELHO
- Seats won in last election: 81
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,557,560 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 9,657,312 (January 2011)
· Female Population: 5,518,047 (2011)
· Is Portugal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (24 April 1980)
· Has Portugal ratified CEDAW: Yes (30 July 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 61 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 43
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Portugal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Portugal ratified CRPD: Yes (23 September 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,583,634 (est.)