At stake in this election:
- 498 seats in the National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nguyen Minh TRIET
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Nguyen Tan DUNG
- Assembly: Vietnam has a unicameral National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi) with 498 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi) 500 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There are182 multi-member constituencies (from six to 26 seats each) divided into electoral units. Candidates must get a majority of votes in the first round to avoid a second.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) / Đảng Cộng sản Việt Nam
- Leader: Nguyễn Phú TRONG
- Seats won in last election: 450
- Independent(s): Independents
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in last election: 1
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 90,549,390 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 62,200,000 (May 2011 Voter registry not published. Figure is an estimate.)
· Female Population: 44,458,637 (2011)
· Is Vietnam a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Vietnam ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 February 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 122 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 116 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Vietnam a signatory to CRPD: Yes (22 October 2007)
· Has Vietnam ratified CRPD: Yes (5 February 2015)
· Population with a disability: 13,582,408 (est.)