At stake in this election:
- 188 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Idriss DEBY
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Emmanuel NADINGAR
- Assembly: Chad has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 188 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), 70 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 116 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** A Party Block Vote in multi-member districts is used if a list gains an absolute majority of the vote. If no list obtains the majority of the vote, members are elected through party-list proportional representation.
* has not yet been created and size is unspecified, members to serve six-year terms, one-third of membership renewable every two years.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Alliance: Patriotic Salvation Movement / Mouvement Patriotique du Salut (MPS)
Leader: Idriss DEBY
Seats won in last election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,329,208 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,830,885 (February 2011 )