At stake in this election:
- 17 seats in the Legislative Assembly (Fale Alea)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King King George TUPOU V
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Feleti (Fred) SEVELE
- Assembly: Tonga has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Fale Alea) with 26 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The King is hereditary.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the monarch.
- In the Legislative Assembly (Fale Alea), 9 members are elected by hereditary state rulers to serve 3-year terms and 17 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 3-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of the Friendly Islands / Paati Temokalati 'a e 'Otu Motu 'Anga'ofa
- Leader: Samuela 'Akilisi POHIVA
- Party: People's Democratic Party (PDP)
- Independent(s): Independents
- Party: Tonga Democratic Labour Party
- Party: Sustainable Nation-Building Party / Paati Langafonua Tu'uloa
- Leader: Sione FONUA
- This is the first election under the country's new electoral system. Previously, only nine members were elected under multi-member districts. This will mark the first time that a majority of MPs are democratically elected.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 103,947 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 42,395 (November 2010 Approx.)
· Female Population: 51,892 (2010)
· Is Tonga a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Tonga ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1 (following the 2010 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 100 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Tonga a signatory to CRPD: Yes (15 November 2007)
· Has Tonga ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 15,592 (est.)