At stake in this election:
- 15 seats in the Parliament (Fale I Fono)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Apisai IELEMIA
- Assembly: Tuvalu has a unicameral Parliament (Fale I Fono) with 15 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Filoimea TELITO .
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the Parliament (Fale I Fono) 15 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.***
*** There are seven districts with two members and one single-member constituency corresponding to the remaining inhabited islands
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents*
* There are no formal political parties in Tuvalu
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,472 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,008 (September 2010)