At stake in this election:
- 50 seats in the National Parliament
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Derek SIKUA
- Assembly: Solomon Islands has a unicameral National Parliament with 50 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Nathaniel WAENA.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.
- In the National Parliament 50 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party
- Party: Ownership, Unity and Responsibility Party (OUR Party)]
- Independent(s): Independents
- Party: Reform Democratic Party (RDP)
- Party: SI Party for Rural Advancement (SIPRA)
- Party: Independent Democratic Party / (IDP)
- Party: People's Congress Party (PCP)
- Party: Direct Development Party (DDP)
- Party: People's Federation Party (PFP)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 526,177 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 447,612 (2010)
· Female Population: 259,118 (2010)
· Is Solomon Islands a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Solomon Islands ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (6 May 2002)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0
· Human Development Index Position: 156 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Solomon Islands a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2008)
· Has Solomon Islands ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 78,926 (est.)