At stake in this election:
- 3 seats in the Legislative Yuan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President MA Ying-jeou
- Head of Government: Premier WU Den-yih
- Assembly: Taiwan has a unicameral Legislative Yuan with 113 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Legislative Yuan, 73 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms, 34 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 6 members are elected by single non-transferable vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Each voter has two votes: one in a single-member constituency or in one of two three-member constituencies representing indigenous groups (highland or lowland); one for a party list. Proportional representation seats are allocated nationwide with a 5 percent threshold. A gender quota of one half applies to party lists.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Kuomintang Party (KMT)
- Leader: MA Ying-jeou
- Seats won in last election: 81
- Party: Democratic Progressive Party (DPP)
- Leader: TSAI Ing-wen
- Seats won in last election: 27
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 23,109,141 (November 2009 Source: Government of Taiwan)
- Registered Voters: 618,831 (January 2009 Total for Taoyuan county, Taichung county and Taidung county.)