At stake in this election:
- 125 seats in the National Assembly (Mejlis)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Head of Government: President Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Assembly: Turkmenistan has a unicameral National Assembly (Mejlis) with 125 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Mejlis) 125 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.*
* Recent constitutional changes abolished the People's Council and expanded the number of seats in the National Assembly from 50 to 125.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Turkmenistan (DPT) / Türkmenistanyň Demokratik partiýasy
- Leader: Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Seats won in last election: 65
- Seats won in this election: 125*
* The official party status of the winning candidates was not released, but all were either party members or members of state-controlled groups.
Population and voter registration:
- Population: 5,269,000 (2008 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,763,993 (2008)