At stake in this election:
- 13 seats in the Legislative Council
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Premier Michael MISICK
- Assembly: Turks and Caicos Islands has a unicameral Legislative Council with 19 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor Richard TAUWHARE
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is the hereditary head of state.
- The Premier is appointed by the monarch to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Legislative Council, 13 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 3 members are appointed to serve 4-year terms.***
*** In the Legislative Council, 13 members are elected by simple majority in single-member constituencies and 3 members are appointed by the governor, the government, and the opposition. The remaining 3 seats are reserved for the Speaker of the House, the Chief Secretary, and the Attorney General. All members serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Progressive National Party
- Party: People's Democratic Movement
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 44,819 (July 2010 est.)