At stake in this election:
- 50 seats in the National Assembly (Majlis al-Umma)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Amir SABAH al-Ahmad al-Jabir al-Sabah
- Head of Government: Prime Minister NASIR al-Muhammad al-Ahmad al-Sabah
- Assembly: Kuwait has a unicameral National Assembly (Majlis al-Umma) with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Amir is the hereditary head of state.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the monarch.
- In the National Assembly (Majlis al-Umma), 50 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 15 members are designated ex officio to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents*
* Political parties are not permitted in Kuwait, though there are formal political groupings that back candidates and members of the National Assembly.
Last Parliamentary election:
- The last parliamentary election was held on July 5, 2003.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,389,498 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 340,248 (January 2006)
· Female Population: 998,019 (2006)
· Is Kuwait a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Kuwait ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (2 September 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1
· Human Development Index Position: 48 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Kuwait a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Kuwait ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (22 August 2013)
· Population with a disability: 358,424 (est.)