At stake in this election:
- 450 seats in the Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Viktor A. YUSHCHENKO
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Yuriy YEKHANUROV
- Assembly: Ukraine has a unicameral Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) 450 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Party of Regions (PRU)*
- Leader: Viktor YANUKOVYCH
- Seats won in this election: 175
- Seats won in last election: N/A
- Bloc: Bloc of Yulia Tymoshenko (BYT)
- Leader: Yulia TYMOSHENKO
- Seats won in this election: 156
- Seats won in last election: 22
- Bloc: People's Union Our Ukraine / (NSNU)
- Leader: Yuriy YEKHANUROV
- Seats won in this election: 72
- Seats won in last election: 112
- Party: Socialist Party of Ukraine (SPU)
- Leader: Oleksandr MOROZ
- Seats won in this election: 27
- Seats won in last election: 23
- Party: Communist Party of Ukraine (CPU)
- Leader: Petro SYMONENKO
- Seats won in this election: 20
- Seats won in last election: 65
* PRU contested the last election as part of the bloc For United Ukraine, which won a total of 101 seats in the parliament.
Last Parliamentary election:
- The last parliamentary election was held on March 31, 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 46,929,500 (January 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 37,173,544 (February 2006)
· Female Population: 25,109,472 (2006)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ukraine ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 39 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 81 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Ukraine ratified CRPD: Yes (4 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 7,039,425 (est.)