At stake in this election:
- 51 seats in the the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblee)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Runaldo Ronald VENETIAAN *
- Head of Government: Head of Government Runaldo Ronald VENETIAAN
- Assembly: Suriname has a unicameral the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblee) with 51 seats.
* If no presidential or vice presidential candidate receives a two-thirds majority in the National Assembly after two votes, a simple majority is required in the United People's Assembly (Volksvergadering), which consists of 893 representatives from the national, local, and regional councils.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblee) 51 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Members are elected to 10 multi-member constituencies.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: National Democratic Party
- Leader: Desire BOUTERSE
- Seats won in last election: 7
- Coalition: New Front Coalition (NF)**
- Leader: Runaldo Ronald VENETIAAN
- Seats won in last election: 33
- Coalition: People's Alliance for Prosperity / (VVV)***
- Leader: Jules WIJDENBOSCH
- Seats won in last election: 5
** Comprised of the Suriname National Party (NPS), the Suriname Labor Party (SPA), Pertjaja Luhur, and the United Reform Party (VHP).
*** Comprised of the Democratic National Platform 2000 (DNP-2000), the Grassroots Party for Renewal and Democracy (BVD), the Party for National Unity and Solidarity of the Highest Order (KTPI), the Party for Progression, Justice, and Perseverance (PPRS), and Pendawalima (PL).
Last Legislative election:
- The last legislative election was held on May 5, 2000.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 491,999 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 333,985 (2005)
· Female Population: 245,048 (2005)
· Is Suriname a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Suriname ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 March 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 103 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/a
· Is Suriname a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Suriname ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 73,799 (est.)