At stake in this Referendum:
- Whether Presidential term limits should be abolished; whether presidential powers should be expanded; and whether a 60-member Senate should be created.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mamadou TANDJA
- Head of Government: President TANDJA Mamadou
- Assembly: Niger has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 113 seats. ***
*** See the Niger country page for electoral system details on the National Assembly.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Removal of presidential term limits, Absolute executive power of the President, Creation of an upper house of the legislature.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 15,672,194 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 6,045,140 (August 2009)
· Female Population: 7,786,106 (2009)
· Is Niger a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Niger ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (8 October 1999)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 14 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 188 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Niger a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Niger ratified CRPD: Yes (24 June 2008)
· Population with a disability: 2,350,829 (est.)