At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum asked voters to approve the introduction of a multiparty system in Uganda.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Lt. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
- Head of Government: President Lt. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
- Assembly: Uganda has a unicameral National Assembly with 303 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of the introduction of a multiparty system. This referendum asked voters: "Do you agree to open up the political space to allow those who wish to join different organizations/parties to do so to compete for political power?"
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 28,042,413 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 8,524,230 (July 2005)
· Female Population: 14,071,891 (2005)
· Is Uganda a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 July 1980)
· Has Uganda ratified CEDAW: Yes (22 July 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 75 (following the 2001 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 163 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Uganda a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Uganda ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 4,206,361 (est.)