At stake in this election:
- 52 seats in the Parliament
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Kalkot Matas KELEKELE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ham LINI
- Assembly: Vanuatu has a unicameral Parliament with 52 seats.
* The electoral college consists of Parliament and the presidents of the regional councils
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by an electoral college to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Parliament 52 members are elected by popular vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 205,754 ( 2005 )
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 99,939 (2004)
· Is Vanuatu a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Vanuatu ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (8 September 1995)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 134 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Vanuatu a signatory to CRPD: Yes (17 May 2007)
· Has Vanuatu ratified CRPD: Yes (23 October 2008)
· Population with a disability: 30,863 (est.)