At stake in this election:
- 39 seats in the House of Assembly (Maneaba ni Maungatabu)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Teburoro TITO *
- Head of Government: President Teburoro TITO
- Assembly: Kiribati has a unicameral House of Assembly (Maneaba ni Maungatabu) with 41 seats.
* The House of Assembly chooses a presidential candidate from their members and the president is then elected from these candidates.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the House of Assembly (Maneaba ni Maungatabu) 39 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** 39 members are elected by popular vote, 1 is nominated from the Banaba island, and 1 member is ex officio. All members serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Pillars of Truth (BTK)
- Leader: Taberannang TIMEON
- Seats won in last election: 17
- Seats won in this election: 16
- Party: Protect the Maneaba (MTM)
- Leader: Teburoro TITO
- Seats won in last election: 7
- Seats won in this election: 24
- Party: National Progressive Party (NPP)
- Leader: Dr. Harry TONG
- Seats won in last election: 0
- Seats won in this election: 0
Last Legislative election:
- Last legislative election was held on November 29, 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 88,892 (2003)
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 45,100 (2003)
· Is Kiribati a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Kiribati ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (17 March 2004)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2 (following the 2003 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 137 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Kiribati a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Kiribati ratified CRPD: Yes (27 September 2013)
· Population with a disability: 13,333 (est.)