At stake in this election:
- 81 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President General Gnassingbe EYADEMA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Koffi SAMA
- Assembly: Togo has a unicameral National Assembly with 81 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly 81 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Rally of the Togolese People (RPT)*
- Leader: Gnassingbe EYADEMA
- Seats won in last election: 79
- Seats won in this election: 72
- Other Parties and Independents
- Seats won in this election: 9
* Major oppositional parties including the Action Committee for Renewal (CAR), Patriotic Pan-Afican Convergence (CPP), and Union of Forces for Change (UFC) are boycotting the election. These parties also boycotted the 1999 parliamentary elections.
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary election was last held on March 21, 1999.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,142,419 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 2,841,079 (2002)
· Female Population: 2,625,003 (2002)
· Is Togo a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Togo ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 September 1983)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 162 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Togo a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2008)
· Has Togo ratified CRPD: Yes (1 March 2011)
· Population with a disability: 771,362 (est.)