At stake in this Referendum:
- Whether to adopt biometric passports and travel documents in compliance with the Schengen Agreement.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hans-Rudolf MERZ *
- Head of Government: President Hans-Rudolf MERZ
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung, Assemblée Fédérale) consisting of the Council of States (Standerat, Conseil des Etats, or Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats* and the National Council (Nationalrat, Conseil National, or Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats**.
* The Federal Presidency rotates among members of the Federal Council, which is the formal chief of state.
* Single-member districts correspond to half-cantons. The electoral system is first-past-the-post. Two-seat districts correspond to full cantons. The electoral system is MNTV.
** Seats are apportioned to each canton or half-canton in proportion to its population. Voters have the option of panachage. In single-member districts, this is effectively a first-past-the-post system.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of the introduction of biometric passports
- Initiative for complementary medicine
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,743,831 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 4,891,363 (February 2009)
· Female Population: 3,936,174 (2009)
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1987)
· Has Switzerland ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 March 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 59 (National Council); 10 (Council of States) following the 2007 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 3 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Switzerland ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (15 April 2014)
· Population with a disability: 1,161,574 (est.)