At stake in this election:
- 214 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Lt. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
- Head of Government: President Lt. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
- Assembly: Uganda has a unicameral National Assembly with 292 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly, 214 members are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 81 members are elected by special interest groups to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the parliamentary election:
- Seats won in this election: 214
*On 29 June 2000, Ugandans approved a referendum that established a non-partisan political system.
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held on June 27, 1996; 214 seats were decided.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 24,534,668 (2001)
- Registered Voters: 10,775,836 (2001)
· Female Population: 12,334,598 (2001)
· Is Uganda a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 July 1980)
· Has Uganda ratified CEDAW: Yes (22 July 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 75 (following the 2001 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 163 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Uganda a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Uganda ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 3,680,200 (est.)