At stake in this election:
- 290 seats in the Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Hoseini-KHAMENEI *
- Head of Government: President Mohammad KHATAMI
- Assembly: Iran has a unicameral Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami) with 290 seats.
* The Leader of the Islamic Revolution is appointed for life by the Assembly of Experts.
Description of electoral system:
- The Supreme Leader is appointed.
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami) 290 members are elected by qualified plurality vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Note: Changed from 270 seats with the 18 February 2000 election.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Coalition: The 2nd Khordad Front (Reformers)
- Leader: Mohammad Reza KHATAMI
- Party: The Followers of the Line of Imam and the Leader (Conservatives)
- Leader: Mohammad Reza BAHONAR
- Party: Executives of Constuction (Centrists)
- Leader: Hashemi Akbar RAF SANJANI
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary elections last held: March 8th and April 19th, 1996.
Seats decided in the last election: 270
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 65,850,062 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 38,726,386 (2000)
· Female Population: 32,477,466 (2000)
· Is Iran a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Iran ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 69 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Iran a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Iran ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (23 Occtober 2009)
· Population with a disability: 9,877,509 (est.)