At stake in this election:
- 81 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gnassingbe EYADEMA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kwassi KLUTSE
- Assembly: Togo has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 81 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 81 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** A second round is necessary in those constituencies where no candidate receives an absolute majority in the first round vote.
Candidates require only a simple majority to be elected in the second round.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Rally of the Togolese People (RPT)
- Leader: Gnassingbe EYADEMA
- Seats won in this election: 79
- Seats won in last election: 35
- Party: Independent candidates
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this election: 2
- Seats won in last election: 0
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held on February 6 and 20, 1994.
Seats decided in the 1994 election: 81
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,747,665 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 2,200,000 (approx.)
· Female Population: 2,428,446 (1999)
· Is Togo a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Togo ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 September 1983)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 4 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 162 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Togo a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2008)
· Has Togo ratified CRPD: Yes (1 March 2011)
· Population with a disability: 712,149 (est.)