At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum will determine if changes will be made to the constitution and electoral code of Kyrgyzstan.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Kurmanbek BAKIEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Almazbek ATAMBAYEV
- Assembly: Kyrgyzstan has a unicameral Supreme Council (Jorgorku Kenesh) with 90 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- A new Constitution and new Electoral Code. Constitution: Change from a single constituency to a proportional all-party list electoral system and an increased number of deputies from 75 to 90, with imperative mandates. Government is formed by the party with most seats. Heads of local administration are no longer elected but appointed by the president. Electoral Code: Only individual political parties can run in parliamentary elections, no coalitions or self-nominations. No Election Day registration.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,268,400 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 2,700,000 ( est.)
· Female Population: 2,665,849 (2007)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (10 February 1997)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 120 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (21 September 2011)
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 790,260 (est.)