At stake in this Referendum:
- Second referendum for independence from New Zealand.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Governor Kolouei O'BRIEN
- Assembly: Tokelau has a unicameral General Fono with 0 seats.
* Represented by Governor General of New Zealand Anand SATYANAND.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- That Tokelau become a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand on the basis of the Constitution and the Treaty. 1. KO AU E MALIE KI TE FAKATU [I AGREE WITH THE PROPOSAL] 2. KO AU E TETEKE KI TE FAKATU [I REJECT THE PROPOSAL]
- A majority of two thirds is needed for the referendum to pass
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,449 (July 2007 )
- Registered Voters: 789 ( 2007 )