At stake in this Referendum:
- National referendum concerning the Dominican Republic Central American Free-Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA) with the US.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Oscar Sanchez ARIAS
- Head of Government: President Oscar Sanchez ARIAS
- Assembly: Costa Rica has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) with 57 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- The ratification of the DR-CAFTA trade agreement.
- The referendum requires a simple majority of the vote to be passed.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,369,465 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 2,550,613 (November 2005)
· Female Population: 2,179,425 (2006)
· Is Costa Rica a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Costa Rica ratified CEDAW: Yes (4 April 1986)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (following 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 69 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Costa Rica a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Costa Rica ratified CRPD: Yes (1 October 2008)
· Population with a disability: 655,419 (est.)