At stake in this Referendum:
- Changes in abortion law to make abortions within 10 weeks of pregnancy legal for all women in Portugal.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Aníbal António Cavaco SILVA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jose SOCRATES
- Assembly: Portugal has a unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica) with 230 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on legalization of abortion for all women until the tenth week of pregnancy* Do you agree that abortions, carried out in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy, with the woman's consent, in a legal medical establishment, should no longer be illegal?
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,542,964 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 9,085,339 (January 2006)
· Female Population: 5,459,327 (2007)
· Is Portugal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (24 April 1980)
· Has Portugal ratified CEDAW: Yes (30 July 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 49 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 43 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Portugal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Portugal ratified CRPD: Yes (23 September 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,581,444 (est.)