At stake in this Referendum:
- Approval of the new Constitution of Serbia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Boris TADIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vojislav KOSTUNICA
- Assembly: Serbia has a unicameral National Assembly with 250 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to approve new Constitution of Serbia* This referendum asked voters: "Are you in favor of confirming the Republic of Serbia's new Constitution?"
* The new Constitution provides guarantees for human rights and mechanisms to protect national minorities. Private, cooperate and public property is guaranteed under the Constitution. The new Constitution also stipulates that Kosovo is an integral part of Serbia.
- A majority vote of 50% plus one of the entire electorate is required in order for the new constitution to be approved.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,411,569 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 6,639,385 (October 2006 )
· Female Population:3,789,325 (2006)
· Is Serbia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Serbia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (12 May 2001)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 10 (following the 2003 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 66 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Serbia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (17 December 2007)
· Has Serbia ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,111,735 (est.)