At stake in this election:
- 25 seats in the National Council (Gyelyong Tshogde)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King Jigme Khesar Namgyel WANGCHUCK
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jigme THINLEY
- Assembly: Bhutan has a bicameral Parliament (Chi Tshog) consisting of the National Council (Gyelyong Tshogde) with 25 seats and the National Assembly (Tshogdu) with 47 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The King is hereditary head of state.
- Prime Minister is nominated by the monarch.
- In the National Council (Gyelyong Tshogde), 20 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 5 members are appointed by the monarch to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly (Tshogdu) 47 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.**
* Members of the upper house National Council cannot belong to any political party.
** Members of the lower house National Assembly represent political parties.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents*
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this National Council election: 25
- Seats won in last National Council election: 25
* Candidates running for National Council must not be affiliated with political parties. All candidates in this election run as independents competing in Bhutan's 20 districts (Dzongkhags). 6 of these members are women. A full list of the candidates competing in this election can be found on the Election Commission of Bhutan's website: http://www.election-bhutan.org.bt/?p=201
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 716,896 (July 2012 )
- Registered Voters: 379,819 (March 2013 )
· Female Population: 349,158 (2013)
· Is Bhutan a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Bhutan ratified CEDAW: Yes (31 August 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 3 (National Assembly); 2 (National Council) (following 2013 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 132 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Bhutan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (21 September 2010)
· Has Bhutan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 107,534 (est.)