At stake in this election:
- 110 seats in the Chamber of Representatives (Palata Predstaviteley)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Aleksandr LUKASHENKO *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mikhail MYASNIKOVICH
- Assembly: Belarus has a bicameral Parliament (Natsionalnoye Sobranie) consisting of the Council of the Republic (Soviet Respubliki) with 64 seats and the Chamber of Representatives (Palata Predstaviteley) with 110 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Council of the Republic (Soviet Respubliki), 56 members are elected by regional governing councils to serve 4-year terms and 8 members are appointed by the president to serve 4-year terms*. In the Chamber of Representatives (Palata Predstaviteley) 110 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.**
* There are 7 multi-member constituencies with a district magnitude of 8. Each district corresponds to the country's six regions and the capital Minsk.
** In order to be considered valid, 50 percent of voters must show up to vote. If a second round is necessary in a district, this threshold is lowered to 25 percent. However, if the second round of voting is held for only one candidate, the candidate needs to obtain the support of over half of the voters taking part in the election.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: White Ruthenia / Belaya Rus; Белая Русь (BR)
Leader: Alexander RADKOV
Party: Communist Party of Belarus / Камуністы́чная па́ртыя Белару́сі; Kamunistychnaya Partyia Belarusi
Leader: Tatsyana HOLUBEVA
Party: Agrarian Party / Аграрная партыя, Agrarnaya Partya (AP)
Leader: Mikhail SHIMANSKY
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,542,883 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 7,030,430 (September 2012 )