At stake in this election:
- 41 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Hubert A. INGRAHAM
- Assembly: Bahamas has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 16 seats and the House of Assembly with 41 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Sir Arthur A. FOULKES since 14 April 2010.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is the hereditary head of state.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the Senate 16 members are appointed by the governor-general to serve 5-year terms. In the House of Assembly 41 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Free National Movement (FNM)
Leader: Hubert INGRAHAM
Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 21
- Party: Progressive Liberal Party (PLP)
Leader: Perry CHRISTIE
Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 17
- Party: Democratic National Alliance (DNA)
Leader: Branville McCARTNEY
Seats won in last House of Assembly election: N/A
- Party: Independent Candidates
Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 316,182 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 172,128 (March 2012 )